Putting Feed Mills at the Forefront of Sustainability
Many feed mills are looking to produce sustainable compound feed for aquaculture or livestock. The Responsible Operations Standard Add-on for Compound Feed Manufacturing v1 aims to improve their sustainability practices.
This is achieved by:
- Reduction of energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Water conservation
- Strategies to avoid waste and effluents
- Responsible sourcing of agricultural and marine feed materials from sustainable production
- Product declarations on feed efficiency, environmental impact, and genetically modified organism (GMO) content
- Mass balances for specific claims on the sustainability of feed materials
- Promoting social engagement with the local community
The add-on was developed based on industry demand and with the strong commitment and support of the Norwegian aquaculture compound feed industry. It consists of 7 sections with a total of 57 control points and compliance criteria.
The Responsible Operations Standard Add-on for Compound Feed Manufacturing is available as a third-party add-on assessment. Feed mills with a current GLOBALG.A.P. Compound Feed Manufacturing (CFM) certificate or GLOBALG.A.P. equivalent certificate for compound feed may apply for the assessment. For this add-on, the mill must be inspected annually by a GLOBALG.A.P. approved certification body, which will issue a letter of conformance if the inspection is successful.